Saturday 20 February 2010

Toroa back in his element

Julie and I relaunched Toroa last week.

The outboard motor however would not run. After several hours of mechanical work I was still unable to solve the problem so I finally relented and took Julies advice. We delivered it to the Sail outboard dealer in Kerikeri. Tony diagnosed a blown head gasket! He assures me it will be ready to collect mid next week. The machine came with a bag full of parts which contained all the gaskets needed for the job which was fortunate.

Toroa's re cut sail looks very good and sets well.
I spent some time yesterday sticking non skid strips on to the decks to give me more reliable footing. I've added a tacking line and I'm experimenting with the shunting set up. I'm concerned that my mast, although sturdy is too heavy which makes the shunt a more demanding process than it should be. I may yet have to replace it with something lighter.

In the mean time Toroa patiently sits at anchor in the harbour at Rawene awaiting a day when there is less wind. Friday I took some time off work. Ironically for me, after weeks of hot settled weather the late summer cyclones have started forming. One has been moving south east down the East Coast of the North Island and affecting the pattern over the north. Overnight on Thursday the wind came in from the south at around 25 gusting 35 knots. I'm hoping for better conditions tomorrow Saturday for a trial sail.

I'll post some photos later.

Harmen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Toroa by Harmen Hielkema & Mike Toy.

Header Photo: Toroa at Rawene by Julie Holton.

This blog is dedicated to the memory of my father Roelof Hielkema who instilled in me the willingness to learn.
These pages are intended to inform and add to the growing body of knowledge concerning the Canoe Culture of the Pacific, past, present & future, from the Tupuna, the Ancestors of the Pacific cultures to the people of the world.

These pages contain Images and text relating to our two proas, Toroa & Takapu, some history relating to our experiments & experiences.

The dissertation that I posted on this blog in April 2008 "Takapu The Proa" was written by me in 1997 in response to an assignment that I was set whilst studying for my design degree. The dissertation covers many issues that a proa enthusiast may benefit from reading about.

Waka define culture as culture defines waka

Waka reflect the individuality and uniqueness of a society which in turn is governed by the geography, geology, topography, climate, location, resources, isolation, origin, flora, fauna, flotsam, jetsam, etc.

Waka are our link to the past, they have shaped our present and define our future.

Waka are the vessels of knowledge, physical and mental development, freedom of bondage to the land, key to our inquisitiveness, expressions of our ingenuity and courage, our love of shape and form, the seat of our power.

Waka are the source of our material culture, from which all processes are derived.

Waka are who and what we are.